When we first heard about Hanging Rock, we weren’t too sure what to expect… would it be packed with tourists? Hard to get to? Worth the walk/ride?
In short: No, nope and YES!
Last weekend we ventured out to Hanging Rock to see for ourselves what all the fuss was about, and our expectations were hugely exceeded!
“This really is a view you have to see for yourself!”
About The Track
Hanging Rock (also known as Baltzer Lookout) is an easy walk or bike ride suitable for all ages and experience!
The track is approximately 8km return – we decided to walk, and it took us just under 4 hours (this includes the time we spent eating lunch on the cliff top and exploring the area).
When you reach the end, you’re greeted with an awe-inspiring view from Baltzer lookout. To your left you’ll find Hanging Rock, it was harder to spot than expected! But nevertheless, it is definitely one of nature’s own masterpieces. Hanging Rock is a sheer spire of sandstone that has split from the cliff face and ‘hangs’ beautifully over the valley.
As we gazed over the mountains and tree tops of the Grose Valley, we truly felt as though we were on top of the world.
Please keep in mind that Baltzer Lookout and Hanging Rock are unfenced cliff tops, so please take extreme caution when exploring the area.
How To Get There (by car):
From the West:
– Travel through Mt Victoria on the Great Western Highway.
– After passing Blackheath Cemetery, turn left onto Ridgewell Road.
– Continue on Ridgewell Road until you reach a gate. This is where you’ll find the carpark and the beginning of the trail.
From the East:
– Travel through Blackheath on the Great Western Highway.
– Turn right into Ridgewell Road, about 1km after Blackheath Train Station.
– Continue on Ridgewell Road until you reach the gate where you’ll find the carpark and the beginning of the Trail.
(For a longer ride, you can park your car in the Blackheath town centre and make your way from there)
What to bring:
– Lots of drinking water (there is no water available on the way so ensure to pack plenty)
– A camera! (Prime spot for any selfie-taker)
– Plenty of food and snacks
– Sunscreen & hat (the Lookout is fairly exposed to the sun, we forgot ours and paid the price!)
– If you’re cycling, a chain to lock up your bike.
Thank you so much for reading! If you make your way out to Hanging Rock, we’d love if you could send us your photos or tag us.
Love Nomadic Belle x
Luxury Glamping Australia